International Womens Day event – 16th March
GSA has zero tolerance for sexual harassment in our community. Join us in taking a stance and chat with advocate Dhanya Mani about her experiences as a survivor of sexual harassment and her advocacy work.
About the event
When: Wednesday, March 16, 1pm-2:30pm
Where: Gryphon Gallery, 1888 Building, University of Melbourne
In line with this year’s International Women’s Day theme, Break the Bias, Dhanya’s presentation aims to break the bias that often influences how sexual harassment, and its prevention are viewed in our society.
Dhanya’s presentation will run for 25 minutes and explore the following topics:
- Experiences as a survivor of sexual harassment
- Advocacy work
Following the presentation, there will be 35 minutes for questions and 30 minutes for networking with Dhanya and GSA Grad Groups.
About the speaker
Dhanya Mani is an advocate for survivors of sexual harassment. Through her campaign, Kate’s List, Dhanya advocates to make politics and workplaces safer. As an Indian-Australian woman, Dhanya brings an important perspective in stamping out sexual harassment and providing timely and appropriate advocacy.
About our policy work
GSA’s previous research and advocacy work has identified that students from a wide range of backgrounds experience sexual harassment. These findings are published in our Safety on Placement report, LGBTQIA+ inclusion survey and Strengthening International Student’s Access to University Support Services report. You can view these reports HERE.
GSA recognises the content of this discussion may trigger mental health issues or concerns for student wellbeing. To support and address these needs, we will be reaching out to the organisations listed below to offer the additional support. All services are free of charge and available to all students at the University of Melbourne.
Any information provided at this event is not legal or professional advice.
University of Melbourne support services:
- Safer Community Program
- Email: email@example.com
- Call: +61 3 9035 8675
- Visit: Stop 1, 757 Swanston Street, Parkville, VIC, 3052
- Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Book an appointment: Students located outside Australia and students located in Australia
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: +61 3 8344 6927
- University Security (for emergency support)
- Call: 03 8344 6666
- UMSU Legal Service
- Get legal help via contact form
External support services:
- Chat online
- Call: 13 11 14
- 1800 Respect
- Chat online
- Call: 1800 737 732
- Centre Against Sexual Assault (CASA) House
- Call the Counselling and Support Line (available 24 hours a day, seven days a week): 03 9635 3610
- Call reception (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday): 03 9635 3600
- Email: email@example.com
- Visit: 3rd Floor, Queen Victoria Women’s Centre, 210 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne
To register for this special event, click HERE