Resources for graduate students

    COVID-19 is a rapidly changing situation. Please ensure you are up to date with the latest advice from the links below.

Support for graduate students during COVID-19

What will happen with my course? 

Contact Stop 1 for information on your course.

Ensure that you are in contact with your relevant coordinators and supervisors for updated information on how your course will be affected. There is also the Student services directory for a range of topics.

How is GSA representing me to the University during COVID-19?
If you have been affected by sudden job loss, or unexpected costs due to COVID-19. 
  • University of Melbourne Financial Aid can offer a range of support for grad students in the forms of COVID-19 Student Support Grants and a COVID-19 Emergency Support Fund (applications open Monday 6 April).
  • GSA has also collaborated with Campus Community to support graduate students in need by providing vouchers for groceries. These vouchers are distributed according to the assessments of Student Connect consultations.
  • The Careers and Employability Service helps students to develop skills and experience while they study. The job notice board provides information exclusive to current UoM students.  
  • Centrelink has information and services to help you if you’re affected by coronavirus (COVID-19) or are looking for more details.
  • The National Debt Hotline offer free, confidential financial counselling including advice for if you are having trouble paying energy, internet and phone bills, rent, and house or car loans. They can be contacted on 1800 007 007.
  • If you require Urgent Money Assistance a number of charity and community organisations have relief services to help with food vouchers and parcels, transport vouchers, chemist vouchers, part-payment of utility bills and more. There is a full list of emergency relief services on the Department of Social Services Grants service Directory.
  • The Victorian Government is offering a range of job opportunities for those who have lost work due to COVID-19.  
  • Relief grants for paying overdue energy or water bills are available to low-income Victorians experiencing unexpected hardship.
I am an international student. What support is available for me?

International students are eligible for the support outlined on the University’s Coronavirus (COVID-19): student advice and support pages.

The Victorian Government has announced an International Student Emergency Relief Fund for students facing financial hardship due to coronavirus. International students will be able to apply for a one-off relief payment of up to $1,100. You can register your interest here, and be notified as soon as applications are open for this fund. This relief payment is independent to the Victorian Government’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) rent relief grant, which international students are eligible to apply for if they are experiencing rental hardship.

International students who can legally work in Victoria are eligible to apply for the Working for Victoria program.

Study Melbourne has put together a number of resources and information packs including frequently asked questions, information on health, education, wellbeing and mental health, housing and accommodation, employment and finances, and travel, visa and consular assistance.

Where can I get housing advice during this time? 
How can I look after my mental and emotional health? 

The University’s Counselling and Psychological Services (CAPS)has a range of resources on managing mental health and wellbeing as well as ways to cope with the added stress of COVID-19 and referrals to further support. You can book an appointment online or call +61 3 8344 6927. 

 Other resources that are available include (but are not limited to): 

  • Counselling Online free online counselling service for those affected by drugs and alcohol 
  • Grow – Grow runs small, structured support groups on a self-help model for people seeking to improve their mental health and resilience. All groups are held via Zoom and are moderated by Grow. These support groups are free and are intended to complement other mental health interventions.
 have a family of my own. What support is available? 

There is a range of information on the Australian Government Services Australia page regarding family payments and child support if you are affected by COVID-19. 

The Red Cross released a tip sheet to help families during isolation. If you have further ideas, GSA would love to hear them and share them with our community.

Red Cross also provides advice when talking to children and young people about COVID-19. 

What if I am in danger while at home? 

Avoiding public spaces and working remotely can help to reduce the spread of COVID-19, but for many survivors, staying home may not be the safest option. There are several services available. 

Are GSA elections affected by COVID-19 restrictions?

GSA elections are conducted online, so people can nominate and vote in complete safety. In other years we’ve held in-person information sessions for potential candidates, as well as events for students to meet candidates. Under the circumstances, such interactions will also be moved online. Consequently, there is no danger of the elections increasing the spread of COVID-19.

What is GSA doing to help with student isolation and community?
  • Check out our Facebook Group, ‘Connection in Isolation @GSA‘, where you can stay in touch with the rest of the graduate student community. Share your own experiences and questions!
  • Check out our blog – we’ve got audio interviews on student issues and recaps on events, news and representation.
  • Browe all our upcoming events – they’ve all gone online! There’s trivia, speed friending, parenting chats, Q&As and more.
  • Check out A Grad Group Guide to Keeping Active During COVID-19
I’ve still got questions that you haven’t answered!
  • Call our freecall hotline: 1800 GSA HELP (1800 472435).
    This hotline is open 9am–5pm, Monday–Friday. Feel free to call us if you need advice on any graduate student concerns, whether related to COVID-19 or not.
  • We’d also like to hear your experiences. Visit our feedback form here to tell us how COVID-19 is affecting you.


Student resources by topic

Academic support resources

Family Violence resources


Health Insurance

Please refer to your individual policy about coverage.


Respectful behaviour