NSP update for graduate students from Peta Humphreys; Faculty Librarian
Over the past three years, concept design work and preparation to develop a world-class student precinct has been in progress and construction will begin in the south east corner of the Parkville campus – the corner where Stop 1 is located. After extensive consultation with University of Melbourne Student Union (UMSU), Murrup Barak, Graduate Student Association (GSA), and student representatives across campus, in 2018 design and construction of the New Student Precinct (NSP) began. The NSP will co-locate student services, food and retail outlets, access to public transport, new arts and cultural facilities, along with more and better study space and outdoor space.
2020 marks the beginning of the next and more intensive phase of the project. As a consequence of this intensive phase of construction and redevelopment, some additional short-term inconvenience will be experienced by students and staff:–
- March 2020 – September 2020: Refurbishment of 1888 Building (January 2020 Graduate Student Association relocated to Doug McDonell building)
- April 2020: Demolition of Alice Hoy Building. Optometry and Vision Sciences to relocate out of Alice Hoy prior to Easter break
- 28 June 2020 – September 2021: Eastern Resource Centre (Library) inaccessible due to redevelopment — Essential resources for students in Semester 2 2020, Semester 1 and 2 2021 will be located in other libraries on Parkville campus; all other ERC resources will be located in off-site storage and accessible via online request to all staff and students
- July 2020 – November 2021: construction of new Arts and Culture Centre
- July 2020 – July 2021: construction new Student Pavilion
For further information on the NSP project, please see https://students.unimelb.edu.au/student-precinct/home.