Portable barbecues are available for hire from GSA Reception. Barbecues must be booked at least 5 business days in advance.
Monday to Friday
|Locations||University of Melbourne
Parkville campus only
|Price||Affiliated Grad Groups: Free
Other: $150 per day
The prices above are inclusive of GST.
The pack includes:
- 1x tongs
- 1x scraper/brush
- 1x bucket
- 1x cleaning spray
- 1x box of latex gloves
- 1x set of BBQ wipes
- 2x shelves
- 1x gas canister
- 1x tarpaulin
All equipment must be returned clean and in good condition
Hiring and setup
- Fill out the Barbecue booking form or contact GSA Reception at least 5 business days in advance.
- Pay the $50 deposit at GSA Reception and collect the barbecue and instructions.
- For safe transport, hang gas cylinder from hooks below the knob side of the BBQ.
- Fill the bucket with hot soapy water (using one of the kitchens in the 1888 Building).
- Wheel the barbecue to the location on campus.
- Ensure the drip draw is secure in the barbecue, remove the lid, and connect the shelves to each side.
- Connect the gas line/safety valve to the gas cylinder with the silver knob.
- Turn gas cylinder knob fully on (anti-clockwise) and press the gauge on top of the safety valve.
- Pour a small amount of soapy water on the connections either side of the gas safety valve.
- If there are any bubbles, it means there is gas leaking out – if this happens, immediately turn the gas fully off, disconnect the safety valve and carefully repeat step 7 onwards.
- If there are no bubbles, proceed to next step.
- Clean the barbecue plate with the spray wire brush provided and rinse with cold water.
- Push one barbecue knob downward, turn to low and immediately press igniter button to light burner. If you can see the burner is not lit, turn the gas off at the gas cylinder, wait one minute and repeat procedure. Continue this process until all four burners are lit.
- While cooking, check the level of oil in the drip container. If it gets over halfway full, carefully remove the drip draw and empty the oil safely. Caution: the drip draw may be hot.
Packing up and returning
- To shut down, first turn gas off at the cylinder (turn knob clockwise and hand tighten).
- Turn all four burner knobs off.
- Scrape down plate and put scraps into an appropriate bin.
- Empty the drip container into an appropriate bin. Caution: the drip draw may be hot.
- After 15 minutes, clean down the plate using the spray and wire brush.
- Rinse the barbecue hot plate and clean the rest of the barbecue using the wipes provided.
- Leave a thin layer of oil on top of the barbecue to prevent rust.
- Wash all the utensils provided using the remaining soapy water.
- Empty any additional rubbish into an appropriate bin and place the lid back onto the barbecue plate.
- Disconnect the safety valve and gas line from the cylinder using the black knob on the safety valve.
- Return the barbecue to GSA Reception at the 1888 Building. After the barbecue is inspected and found to be sufficiently cleaned with all items returned, your deposit can be returned.