2019 Art Prize: Commencing 28 August
You don’t have to be an artist to express yourself.
The GSA Art Prize is an annual event that celebrates student creativity and reflects the diversity of their interests outside their area of study. The competition is open to all current University of Melbourne graduate students, and celebrates creativity outside of your studies.
With over $2,000 worth of cash and prizes to be won, entries from the graduate student community will once again be stunning, insightful and varied.
Theme: What boosts your mental health?
Thursday 10 October, the final day of the Art Prize exhibition, is World Mental Health Day.
To celebrate this day, and to raise awareness of the crucial issue of mental health, the 2019 Art Prize will showcase the power of art to create hope.
The theme of the competition is: what boosts your mental health? What gives you meaning, what buoys and motivates you, and what are you thankful for?
To help embrace this theme and inspire your entries, GSA will be sharing resources and models of positive mental health over social media in the coming weeks.
- Wednesday 28 August: Entries open
- Thursday 19 September: Entries close (unless you register for an extension – available soon)
- Thursday 25 September: Extended deadline closes
- Tuesday 8 October: Artwork exhibition opens in the Gryphon Gallery, 1888 Building
- Thursday 10 October, 4pm–6pm: Winners announced at the exhibition closing ceremony
- 1st prize: $1,000 cash
- 2nd prize: $600 cash
- 3rd prize: $300 cash
- Winner of popular vote: $150 cash plus a one-year NGV membership (valued at $73–$105)
Entering your artwork
Entries open Wednesday 28 August.
Artworks can be 2D (such as paintings or illustrations) or 3D (such as sculptures or woodwork), provided they satisfy the terms and conditions. All artworks must be submitted physically – not online – along with an entry form.
Before entering, please read the terms and conditions.
Extending the deadline to 25 September
More information will be available soon.